Pages

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Veggie Burgers

For years I have been too intimidated to make my own veggie burgers. I bought Boca burgers and the like at the grocery store and would add my own seasonings. Or head to Houston's Onion Creek or Cedar Creek to enjoy one of their awesome Boca Burgers. The thought of making from scratch, my own veggie burgers seemed so hard and beyond reach.

But recently, I sucked it up. After watching Travel Channel's Burger Paradise, and it's feature of The Spot in Hermosa Beach, the task seemed reachable.

This is my third try at veggie burgers and you really can customize them. You can use oats or rice as a base, then add your veggies....mushrooms, carrots, potatoes, beans (kidney, garbanzo....etc) and seasonings and go!


I started with cooked rice, kidney beans, carrots, onions, plain yogurt, soy sauce, an egg, soy bacon bits, wheat bread crumbs and seasonings. Whirled them all together in my food processor.


Oiled a cast iron skillet, formed patties and baked them at 425 for about 20 minutes.


Then browned them in olive oil on the stove to darken them up.

No comments: