Pages

Monday, March 1, 2010

Baked Rigatoni

Friday after work I went directly to the grocery. I felt like making a cheesy nommie dinner. Baked Rigatoni...yes!


Once again, you can add SO many more ingredients than I have here...like zucchini or onions or mushrooms...etc.  I used rigatoni noodles, vegetarian Italian sausage, pasta sauce, tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese. You can also vary the cheese choices!
 


Boil your pasta in salted water with some olive oil...
 


While the pasta is cooking, I brown the veggie sausage in a little olive oil and cut them up.

 
 



When pasta is just al dente (you don't want to over cook and it turn to mush) add all your other ingredients and mix very well.


Put into casserole dish and bake for about 25 minutes at 375 degrees.

  
There you have it!
For a side dish I made Italian Green Beans.  This is a dish that my Gaga taught mother, mother taught me and I've taught my own daughters.

The BEST way to make this recipe is to have homemade Italian breadcrumbs. My Gaga and mother made theirs from scratch with garlic, parsley and Romano cheese and let it age for months. That smell is unforgettable!

I don't have room to store them, so for now....store bought Italian breadcrumbs will have to do. And since they aren't home made, I added garlic and Parmesan cheese all to a bowl.
Drain green beans and toss with the breadcrumb mixture.


 Heat up a generous amount of EVOO in a skillet and add green beans.



The trick to these green beans are to let them burn. Don't play with them and scoot them around the skillet...just flip them once.


These green beans have been re-named "Jacqueline's Green Beans" by mother when my daughter was about 3 years old. They are one of her favorite things to eat!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Dawn, thanks for the comment you left on my blog--The Country Wife Life--I hope the budget helps your family out! I have enjoyed looking over your blog and reading your recipes! I'm so hungry now...haha. I am going to have to try out this rigatoni recipe!