Pages

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Delirious

The year was 1983, I was twelve years old.  It wasn't long after that when I got to hear Eddie Murphy's Delierious tape.

I still have that tape.  Cassette tape.  That I played in my 1980 Suburban and my 1989 Probe.  Hell, even my daughters remember me playing it in the car when they were smaller.

Their father and I used to listen all the time.  I had that whole tape memorized.  To this day, I still repeat parts of it....randomly...because sometimes things just escape the holes in my swiss cheese brain.  "...this is my house, and if you don't like it, you can get the fuck out...." would be one.

Ahhh...memories.





Flash to present day, my husband comes home from work with about 12 DVD's in tow.  Included in them are Single White Female, Airheads, From Dusk Until Dawn and more.  I love my husband.

Eddie Murphy's Delirious was the first to be smacked in the DVD player.  My youngest teen was watching Disney or Nick in her room...she pops in and out as usual to check on the rest of us. She stops for a minute here and there and laughs with the rest of us.

First off I have to say, damn Eddie Murphy was young!  (That means I'm old.)  He was 22 years old, I think, at this taping.  The place was packed. It was taped at Constitution Hall in Washington D.C.

I had to Google this.  It's been so many years I had to see what (at least) Wikipedia says about it. "The 70-minute show, released in 1983, showcases his most racy material. The word "fuck" is used a total of 230 times, and "shit" is used 171 times."

That sounds about right.  The word faggot was used a lot as well.  And, yes, I laughed my ass off.  Get over it.

So as the DVD went on, and we all laughed are asses off, and I annoyingly  slammed out every punchline before Eddie did and God I needed that.   There were references to 'this new AIDS thing'. That threw me back.  Oh, and that you should not kiss anyone with it, or you'll get it.  Wow.

At the end it hit me.  There, in that theater, that seats over three thousand people. A sold out crowd.  All those people away from their homes.  And not one cell phone.

No one texting.

No one updating Facebook or Twitter every god-damned minute.

No one posting photos or videos from second to second.

That was the most refreshing thing of all.

No comments: