Pages

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Life Lessons For My Teen Girls

I will break my arm patting myself on the back for the job I do as 'mother'.  

It's not that I think I am perfect. I know I'm not. Not by a long shot. It's that I am the polar opposite kind of mother than that 'mother' that raised me.  The mere fact that my kids like to hang out together with me is awesome by leaps and bounds. 

These are things I want my daughters to know.  Things that they need to know.

This list is one I found online - I did some changing.  

It seems that this list was made by a man to his daughters.  And he either knew or assumed that he had straight daughters. So, I tweaked omitted and elaborated on some. 


Listen to the sound of your own voice

You won’t always get what you want but never settle for less than you deserve

Know what you deserve. Know what you're worth. It's always more than you think

Two telephone numbers you should keep in your cell phone your mother's cell number and work number

Make up your own mind no one should tell you what to be but you.

A person who respects your mind and body is a person worth dating

A big part of being careful is being smart. Be careful.

Make positive choices

Turn off the lights and shut off the water when you’re not using either

Be a good listener and pay attention to the details

Don't have a 'life plan'? Don't worry.

If it's easy - it's probably wrong.

Know the difference between being taken advantage of and being a true friend.

Being smart and pretty is not enough. Develop your character

Say thank you when someone pays you a compliment. (Instead of 'Shut Up')

Less is more

Fall down, cry, make mistakes and when its all over get back up

It’s not your job to change anyone so don’t make it your profession

Believe that all things are possible even when the odds are against you.

Peer pressure doesn't end when high school does.

23. You don’t have to be a chef but learn to cook a couple of good meals for yourself.

24. Be careful not to fall in love with the idea of love.

The grass is not always greener on the other side so focus on making grass greener from where you stand.

Most people don’t discover what they want until its too late.

Perfection is not possible, happiness is.

Make a decision and follow through.

Be honest! You’re travelling a dangerous road when you start to lie to yourself.

If you can’t think go for a walk.

No comments: