Pages

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Extra LONG Easter Post!

Easter's over....but this post is LONG and the leftovers are a PLENTY!!  Let's get started...shall we?

No, I'm not a 'chef'.  I can't even remember to wipe off the plate for presentation. :)


I'd first like to state that the table setting was ALL purchased at the 99 Cent Only Store. The plates, cups, tea towels, real flowers, tin planters, Easter grass, jelly beans, eggs and lace runner.  Even the soil that I used to transplant the purple flowers into the tin planters...purchased at the 99 Cent Only Store.

Secondly, I'd like to explain the table and chairs I have.  The table was mine, and it had matching chairs...until I wanted to recover them.  That became a long process and in the meantime my husband found some 1950's teak chairs.  Now, we just need to find a teak table! :)  It's all a process.  lol

I'll start with the table decor.  As I said - ALL from the 99 Cent Only Store! It may not be the fanciest table...but it will do on short notice! This was basically the first Easter it was just the mister and us.  He volunteered to cover for a co-worker so that co-worker could spend Easter Day with his family and little ones.  It was really such a sweet thing to do. So, I had about 2 days to get Easter together! That includes finding recipes, shopping and decorating.  As my kids say, "Mom...if you could...you'd have a friggin Easter Party." And I would.

*I can't wait until our new kitchen table and chairs come in...FINALLY shit will match!*




This table setting was all purchased at the 99 Cent Only Store.  AND at a price of about $20.00...plates, cups, tea towels, eggs, candy, flowers, grass, planters....


The first dish I made a day before was the Potatoes Au Gratin. Potatoes, soups, onions...all purchased at 99 Cent Only Store.

Basic Ingredients - 
Potatoes
Grated cheese (only thing not purchased at 99 Cent Only Store)
Cream of Mushroom Soup
Cheese Soup
Onions


Thinly Slice Potatoes and Onions and layer in pan

Melt soups together and layer with grated cheese.

Over and Over go the layering until you're done.
Bake at 400 Degrees for about an hour.

I can't TELL you how cheesy and good this is....it made the WHOLE house smell
delicious!!


Next, I made something my Gaga made every Easter.  This was the first Easter without my grandparents.  I couldn't resist making them.  But I will warn you, use PHILADELPHIA BRAND CREAM CHEESE!  I skimped and used an off brand, and it showed.  It was lumpy. 

Okay...these are pear halves with a sweet cream cheese filling and topped with a Jelly Bean.  Hokey, but so good!

Canned Pears (drained and reserve a little juice)
Powdered Sugar
Cream Cheese

Easy - mix about a cup of powdered sugar to the cream cheese.
Add about a TBSP of pear juice..not too much. You don't want it runny.
Refrigerate the mixture to allow it to thicken up again.

Spoon into Pears and top with a Jelly Bean!



Now, strawberry pie.  Again another EASY dessert - but it helped with the last minute Easter Dinner I had to do.   
















No comments: