Pages

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Camping Foods - Migas (Sorta)

I first had Migas made for me by my late ex mother-in-law who was a wonderful Abuelita to my daughters and an incredible mother-in-law.  Fresh corn tortillas crisped up in a cast iron skillet. Then joined by fresh veggies and cilantro, sometimes beans and then accompanied by some type of meat...ham, turkey, even hot dogs sometimes.  Then come the eggs, hot sauce and cheese.   A mish-mosh of freshness on a plate.  She made them regularly, and then I started to.

These days, I try to make them on Sundays for my family. And each time I make them, my daughters and I end up talking about memories of their "Tita".

When we go camping, I love making the last breakfast for everyone before we all head back to reality.  It's a great way to use up any leftover cooked and fresh veggies and meats from the weekend. It's also a great way to have everyone eat at one time and just enjoy each other and our beautiful surroundings.

On this Memorial Day camping trip, I had pre-cooked bacon, potatoes left over from friends the night before, home grown tomatoes from the same friends, eggs and cheese served on flour tortillas.  Since the whole area was under a burn ban, we had a huge BBQ pit...so the cast iron skillet went directly in the pit.

Leftover baked potatoes, home grown tomatoes...


...pre-cooked bacon and some EVOO....


...into the pit after some seasonings...


...enter the eggs...


..enjoying our surroundings...


...and some more...


...top with cheese...let melt and stuff some tortillas!



Thanks, Ove Glove!

No comments: