Pages

Monday, June 20, 2011

Father's Day 2011

It felt like a very looooong day yesterday.

I had written on my Rent House Love blog about Dishwashergate.  Since the landlawd had yet to bring 'his' dishwasher, the mister decided to work on the leak under the sink.  By this time, the floor I put down earlier had started to come up. I made a mental note that when this was all fixed, I will be replacing some tiles.

Anyway - I made some breakfast tacos from James' dinner leftovers he made the night before - chicken and cheese and spiciness!  They were pretty damn good, if I do say so myself.  Then the chaos and mess started soon after.

With working under the sink - the water was shut off.  So I couldn't do dishes.  I put off going to grocery because there was no way to maneuver around the kitchen and put up groceries and attempt to cook until the 'work' was done.

While on a run to Home Depot for something he needed, the mister ran into the Landlawd...buying a dishwasher.  It was literally almost the same dishwasher we bought - but the control freak landlawd had to have it his way.  Luckily I was at the grocery when he dropped it off...I literally can't be in the same room as the landlawd...I'll vomit atrocious words in his direction.

When I got home, groceries in tow, I had a husband on the kitchen floor installing the dishwasher, the old old dishwasher in the garage and the 2nd (the one we purchased) in the dinette and the huge box to the new one in the den.

Big box in the living room

2nd dishwasher in dinette....and the groceries with 
no where to put them...

Earlier in the day, the 2nd dishwasher, wet vac, and
wet-ish floor. 


When my husband installed the 3rd landlawd dishwasher, I got to cooking.  Leaving the groceries on the floor (it was much easier that way). I started to boil the potatoes for potato salad and began the BBQ sauce.  I found it online from Saveur...but you know me...it's not exactly followed to a 'T' and I doubled the recipe. (Below is the doubled ingredients). I wanted some for marinating and some to serve on top of the chicken when plated.


Dr. Pepper BBQ Sauce

8 tbsp. unsalted butter
8 cloves garlic, minced
2 large yellow onion, minced
2 cup ketchup
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1 cup light brown sugar
2/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
6 tbsp. tomato paste
4 tsp. chile powder
2 tsp. salt
2 tsp.  pepper
2 12-oz. can Dr Pepper soda

Heat butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add garlic and onions; cook until soft, 4–6 minutes. Add ketchup, vinegar, sugar, Worcestershire, paste, chile, salt, pepper, and soda; bring to a simmer. Cook until thickened, about 30 minutes.

*This is where I put a spin on it - I just rough chopped the onion and garlic.  When it was all cooked, I took it to my blender and blended it to smooth.





All the ingredients boiling before hitting the blender.


When I was done blending the BBQ sauce I put some aside for serving and started to marinate my chicken.


And here's the chicken in it's BBQ sauce bath...


The mister had some apple wood chips that smoked with the charcoal to make the most wonderfully cooked chicken!  He put some apple wood chips in the charcoal starter...then soaked some in water, put in foil and made a 'packet'. He put the packet on top of the coals once in the pit and the chips steamed and smoked the chicken wonderfully!



The potato salad was just a normal one...golden russet tators, celery, mayo, mustard, boiled eggs, salt pepper..   But, since this was not an anally planned out day I, again, improvised.  I did get Duke's Mayonnaise to try and was pleasantly pleased with the taste.

Then instead of regular mustard I got a spicy dijon, I added a little chili powder and some garlic salt and pickles. (Since I forgot to pick up olives).  I got asparagus and was going to make home made hollandaise...but forgot lemon juice...GO FIGURE.



Here's my plate - remember the crazy mess we dealt with all day so it's not at all the way I would have loved to present it.



I'd just like to remind you of my 'working area'...


Besides all that pandemonium going on, my mister's children never called him to wish him Happy Father's Day.....forget the fact that they had other things to do than even spend a few minutes with him for even a coffee. One did text him way later towards the evening. We spent the day together and I tried not to dwell on the fact his own children couldn't have the common decency to even send him an impersonal text.  I hope one day they realize he's been the best dad he could be under the circumstances their mother thrust upon him.


With the kitchen fiasco on a roll, the mister put together some Ladderball and we emptied and moved our teeny pool so he could have a soak later.





I just love this face.  He was pretending to be
of super-strength and wind up the ball. :)


He doesn't like me taking so many pics of him. 

Having a cigar in the mini-pool

No comments: