Pages

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

The Green Monster

Imagine sitting down with a plate in front of you overflowing with fresh spinach.  No dressing. Just a trough of leaves.  Now imagine consuming that trough. Go ahead. Dig in. Head first.

Doesn't sound too appealing, does it?  Now imagine a frosty fruit smoothie sitting in front of you.  Pineapples, bananas, grapes, peaches - any fruit you can imagine. So fruity! So refreshing!

What do the two have in common?  The Green Monster.  Before I get ahead of myself, let me just tell you some of the benefits of fresh spinach.

This is a very nutrient-dense food. It’s low in calories yet very high in vitamins, minerals and other phytonutrients. Phytonutrients is just a fancy word for the stuff found in plants that is totally awesome for your body. Spinach is an excellent source of vitamin K, vitamin A, magnesium, folate, manganese, iron, calcium, vitamin C, vitamin B2, potassium, and vitamin B6. It’s a very good source of protein, phosphorus, vitamin E, zinc, dietary fiber, and copper. Plus, it’s a good source of selenium, niacin, and omega-3 fatty acids.

Got all that?

Now for the Green Monster part. I usually start the night before by freezing the fruits I am going to use in the shake.  Last night I froze some banana and pineapple.  The ideal thing is to use FRESH fruits, but I had no fresh pineapple so I made due. Then basically you toss your frozen fruits, spinach and some juice and/or yogurt in a blender and PLA-DOW! The Green Monster!

My bananas and pineapple taking a frozen spa for the night. 


Fill your blender about 3/4 of the way full packed with
spinach.


There's my frozen fruities. 


I added a teenie bit of pineapple juice.
You can add water or fresh juice if you have a juicer. (Carrots work great!)
You can add soy milk, almond milk too.  



I add some flavored yogurt, but plain or vanilla work well too!



And WHIRRRRR away!
This woke up my sleepy mister this morning.
Sorry honey!


Look at that GREEN!


Blended smooth!
Now pour!
*You will have enough for 2 smoothies. Or 1 big and 1 small*



GREEN MONSTER!!!


That's a bubble tea straw...I love them becuase
they're so HUGE!




I cannot stress enough - YOU DO NOT TASTE ONE LICK OF SPINACH!  You only taste the yummie fruits and yogurt you added!  The frozen fruits take the place of any ice you add to a smoothie.

TRY IT!!!

No comments: