Pages

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

The Pioneer Woman's Iced Coffee Concentrate

I love The Pioneer Woman, Ree Drummand. She's a wife, a mom, a homeschool teacher, a cook, a photographer....whew. I literally could go on and on.  I think I speak for tons of women, I wished I WAS the Pioneer Woman!

Ok, I'll back off. It's getting a little too stalky now.

I've been 'banned' from Starbucks from my mister - because I can go everyday and waste a ton of money buying Frapps and breakfasts for my kids. Honestly, I have some nerve.

Ahem!  Anyway - she posted this the other day - Perfect Iced Coffee. And seeing how simple it was and how much we LOVE our coffee, I had to try it!

Let me back up a little big.  I come from coffee drinkers. My dad has had coffee every morning for as long as I can remember.  That's where I got my love for it. I loved the smell on weekend mornings when he'd brew it.  I doctored mine up with cream and sugar, while he drank his black.

My Gaga (rest her sweet little soul) was a coffee drinker. She took hers black too.  Every Christmas morning, as a child, I KNEW it was almost time to come downstairs because I could smell the coffee brewing and my Gaga's perfume - which was most of the time Coco Chanel or Opium.  *I wear Opium to this day so I can just have that frozen moment in time*  Gaga introduced me to iced coffee as a teenager.  She'd take her morning pot, after the morning cups were drank, and put it in the fridge.  Then in the afternoon, she'd pour a cup, add ice and let me add milk and sugar.  It was love at first gulp.

My oldest daughter is a coffee fiend like me, so introducing her to iced coffee seemed perfect. You can find Ree's recipe HERE.

And here's me doing it yesterday.  Ree calls for one pound of coffee to 8 quarts (2 gallons) of water.  I could only find one gallon jugs. I'm sure if I went all over I could have found what I needed...but I wanted to get home and start this!

Coffee and a 1 gallon pitcher.
(I have two pitchers for this)


It took about 5 seconds before the coffee smell
was in the living room...and I heard
MMMM COFFEE!

It's one pound of coffee to two gallons of water. 
So here, it's half the coffee to one gallon.



Add cold water...


It's a bubbling brew!



Mix the grounds well with the water...


There's my two pitchers!


Now, cover. And as Ree says, "Go live your life".
It takes roughly 8 hours of 'brewing'. 
I used one this morning, and have the other
still 'brewing' for a little stronger taste.



If you have a teenie sieve strainer, use it with cheese cloth.
I don't have one, and remembered this morning I used
the last of my cheese cloth for making cheese. Doh.
So I used some paper towels and a strainer to 
pour the water and grounds through. 



Drip. Drip. Drip. 


And there it is!


Adding milk.  Look. At. That. 




Adding a little sugar for the sweetness!


Shaking it up and heading OUT THE DOOR!





It's DELISH! TRY IT!!

No comments: