Pages

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Homemade Nutella

*Again, pardon the crappy photos....my Rebel is still 'sick'.


It goes without saying (even though I'm saying it) that I LOVE chocolate.  Who doesn't? Don't tell me, I don't want to know!

One thing I'm not crazy about is Nutella.  I think it's the hazelnut.  I'm not too keen on nuts.  But my kids LOVE it.  They'd eat it right out of the container if I let them.

I stumbled upon a recipe for homemade Nutella.  I can't tell you how nerded out I get when I find a recipe for a store bought/mass produced anything.  It's not pretty.

The recipe is ridiculously easy.


Homemade Nutella Recipe
yield: about 1.5 cups

2.5 oz (about 2/3 cups) roasted unsalted hazelnuts

3/4 cup sweetened condensed milk

3 oz (about 1/2 cup) unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped

3 tbsp honey, agave nectar, or other liquid sweetener **I used agave**

a food processor

I love honey, but I also love to sweeten things with pure agave. While agave (pronounced ah-GAH-vay) is best recognized as the plant from which tequila is made, it has also been used for thousands of years as an ingredient in food. The nectar made from the plant is known in Mexico as aguamiel, or "honey water."

The Aztecs prized the agave as a gift from the gods and used the liquid from its core to flavor foods and drinks. Now, due to increasing awareness of agave nectar's many beneficial properties, it is becoming the preferred sweetener of health conscious consumers, doctors, and natural foods cooks alike.


But, like the recipe says, honey is fine too.  Now, before I begin let me tell you my booboo.  The only hazelnuts my grocer had was chopped.  I recommend you buy the whole stripped ones.  The ones I got still had the dark skin on them and in the end it made for a grainy outcome.


This is my cookbook, yall. 



Here's the ingredients. (Check UP there ^^ for measurements)

Toasting Hazelnuts.

Getting ready to chop the unsweetened chocolate.


Cooling hazelnuts.

Toss them in the chopper


It gets like this at first. 

Then the oils start to come out. 


Then it's creamy.  But notice not AS creamy if I got the 
correct nuts.  Doh. 

Chocolate, agave and milk

Starting to melt

Mmmmmm

Combine it all!

My Froggie hot pad got dirty...

Give it a whir
*Not too much, it will get doughy*


Tada!




3 comments:

Matt and Rebecca said...

I LOVE nutella! Thanks so much for this post!

Teri@thefreshmancook said...

This looks so good. I will be making this today! I saw your post on Skip to My Lou! Thanks

MommieDawn said...

Thank you both! My oldest daughter tasted it and said it was better than the store bought. I'm not a Nutella eater but so far they've ate it with coffee cake (lol), toast and topped on homemade brownies I made yesterday!