Pages

Monday, August 29, 2011

Homemade Beignets

For about a month now, my youngest daughter has been asking for beignets.  I've had them in New Orleans at Cafe Du Monde. They are delicious! My kids have had them at Crescent City Beignets in Houston.  So, it's not like they've not ever had them - I had to live up to at least something resembling nommie goodness!


Who doesn't love a fresh warm fried dough blob covered in powdered sugar?!  YUM!

I knew in my heart of hearts there is no way I can cook anything close to Cafe Du Monde. Ever. But I also know that I wanted to try to make it from scratch, and not the boxed mix they sell.  So, there it was.  Several different recipes for me to choose from.

There are yeast batters and no yeast batters.  I chose (for this time) a no yeast recipe.  This recipe contained 4 eggs, so if I didn't cook the beignet completely, it had a custardy middle.  No one complained, but I knew it and was aware of it and doubted myself all through breakfast.  I will make beignets again, I'll just wait for the cooler months - if we get any.  Sweating like a hog in a fur coat is none too pleasant, if you asked me.


Yeast Free Beignets


Ingredients

1/2 cup butter
1 cup water
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup all-purpose flour
4 eggs
oil for deep frying
All the Powdered Sugar you desire for heavenly nommie-ness


How to make it

In a medium saucepan, melt the butter in the water.


Add salt and flour, and stir until a sticky batter is formed.


Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until the batter is smooth.


Heat the oil to 375F.
Fry mounded teaspoons of dough, several at a time, for about 6 minutes.
They are done when they are light, golden brown on each side.
Sad first attempt....

That looks more like it!


Drain them for a few minutes on a clean kitchen towel and serve warm, dusted with the confectioners’ sugar.
This beignets recipe makes 28 to 32 fritters






My first attempt at frying them up looked like I was frying large tadpoles.  It took a little while to master the scoop and plop method, as I called it.  As I mentioned before, in the end I think I made them too large of spoonfuls - but whatever.  They still got eaten.

No comments: