Pages

Monday, August 15, 2011

Homemade Brownies Calmed the Mama Beast

Chocolate may not actually cure anything - but it sure does make you feel a hell of a lot better!

I fired myself this week.

I fired myself from picking up after everyone. I came home Friday, after work, to a messy kitchen and my two kids lounging. Laptop and TV going.  How nice it must be.  While I work an 8 or 9 hour day, drive home in 100+ degree heat in a car who's AC is a moron. All I want to do is come home, change clothes and relax a bit.  Riiight.

My kids have laxed way too much this Summer. So much so, that they have totally forgotten they have chore charts on the fridge. Just because it's Summer doesn't mean the chores take the Summer off too.  So I walk in the house to a dirty kitchen and a messy house.  Then my 17 year old wants to go to a movie that STARTS at 9 50pm.  Really? The movie STARTS at nearly 10pm and you want to go? Uh, no. When I say no, apparently I've ruined her life.  Gawd, I'm so uncool.

I fear for my children when they are out on their own.  They may qualify for a Sibling Edition of Hoarders.  I think I may have spoiled them their whole lives by doing so much for them. I've always organized their rooms, laid out their clothes, done their laundry bla bla bla.  Now into their teens, I'm leaving some of this up to them and it's not promising. I'm afraid to enter my 17 year old's room most the time. And my 14 year old's room is in a constant state of disarray.  I can't take it - I just may have to go in there this weekend and fix it myself.  THAT'S where I eff up!  I do it myself. Always. And then I'm mad that I did.  It's never ending. See how that whole putting my foot down thing works out for me?

Saturday the mister and I got into a scuffle over laundry. He's tired of the girls doing their laundry unaccordingly of their chore charts. He also got mad because he asked one of them to take his laundry out of the dryer as soon is it's dry to avoid wrinkling.  It didn't happen. And heaven forbid my husband do any chores on his day off.  This makes him crazy.  I offered to iron them - it wouldn't have taken me 10 minutes to iron the damn clothes. But no. He WASHES and DRIES them again.  What?  This made perfect sense to him. Then he loses his temper (he's got a short wick - he thinks he doesn't) and the argument goes from me saying it's stupid to REWASH shit when I've offered to IRON it to him saying I never discipline my kids. Then getting mad because one of the kids keeps the Playstation in her room - she's the only one who plays it, by the way.  But the rude remark he made "I didn't spend $400.00 on HER!" was enough and he made the wise decision of running some errands.  He got out of the house before I reminded him of his section of the living room.....Or about the old dishwasher that's STILL sitting in the garage SINCE FATHER'S DAY that needs to be gotten rid of...or of the cigar case sitting in the entry that has gone NO WHERE.  No, I kept it to myself.

Discipline - yes I do discipline my kids. But I have to say, mine never sneak out, steal from me, do drugs, hide drugs, have sex, go to parties, skip school. The worst that they do is not do their chores.  I spent an entire Sunday in my house with 3 seventeen year old's in the same room!  When I was seventeen, the last place I wanted to be was around my mother - let alone with friends in tow.
These are the weird teenagers


DUE TO THE FACT THAT IT WAS LAZY SUNDAY - ALL THE PHOTOS SUCK


By Sunday I pretty much said Fuck You to the world.  The mister left for work, my oldest had a sleepover and I was going to stay in my pajamas and watch Netflix on TV all day. Which is what I did.  Having young people in the house keeps me young, and happy.  Watching them be silly and laugh and crack each other up while I take my seat on the sofa to enjoy them is just refreshing for me. I did have my kids periodically get up and accomplish a few things - just to keep the Mommie Crown on my head.

Well into the second movie of Sunday Movie Marathon, I asked who wanted brownies....and I was off looking up a recipe.  I'm not sure if I've ever posted this before, but I had to....whether it was 'again' or not.  These are fudgy cakey brownies that are to die for. And with an easy icing and a chopstick, watch out! These are killer brownies.


Easy Brownies made with cocoa

Ingredients
¾ cup butter
1½ cup sugar
2 teaspoon vanilla
3 eggs
¾ cup all-purpose flour
½ cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
a pinch of salt

Preheat your oven to 350 and grease an 8x8 baking dish with butter.  Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl until smooth and pour into the greased dish.  Spread out the batter until it's level and bake for 20 to 30 minutes. While it's baking - make the icing.
*I baked them closer to 30 minutes FYI
Take them out of the oven when a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.  Take a chopstick (or something else about the same size) and make about 30 holes all over the cooling brownies. Then spread the icing on top.  As the icing melts from the heat of the brownies, it will sink into the holes you poked. Constantly move the icing around to ensure it's in all the holes and let cool.

Then EAT!

Buttercream cocoa frosting

½ cup butter, softened
3 cups powdered sugar
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1½ teaspoon vanilla extract
About 5 tablespoons lukewarm milk

Using an electric mixer, cream the butter, and add gradually powdered sugar and cocoa; add a tablespoon of lukewarm milk in between, when needed. Add vanilla extract, and mix until smooth; do not over-mix.

Here are the brownies while waiting for them to cool.



And here are the brownies this morning...there will be nothing left when I come home...and I think I'll be making another batch. LOL



Now - my goal this week is to get the girls BACK on their chore charts and laundry days if it kills me. Starting today.

No comments: