Pages

Monday, November 7, 2011

French Onion Soup

French. Onion. Soup.

Uh, yes please!  My relationship with French Onion Soup goes back to the 1980s and high school.  As a teenager, the one place we used to frequent as teens was Bennigan's. Burgers, Monte Christo's, Cobb Salads...I literally could go on.  Well, Bennigan's is gone now, but not the memory of their French Onion Soup.  That's the first place I ever tried it, and fell in love.

The buttery soft onions and the sinfully rich tasting broth all under an edible cap of toasted bread and melted cheese.  I would order it at pubs and other restaurants around town and honestly I've never had a bad bowl.  I mean...it's topped with CHEESE! That's never a bad thing, right?

Ok, before I post the recipe and photos, I must explain a few things.  I am still without my Canon Rebel, so the photos aren't up to par. Secondly, I wasn't able to get out and buy the oven proof bowls. And C, since I didn't have the oven proof bowls, I didn't put them under the broiler to melt the cheese. So I improvised and just let the cheese melt in the soup and topped it with a toasted piece of bread.

Here's the incredibly easy recipe :

10 cups thinly sliced yellow onions (Or 5 large yellow onions. *Thanks Carol W!*)
1 stick of butter
A pot of broth - chicken, vegetable, beef (we pre-made chicken broth the night before)
1 cup dry white wine
1 tbs Worcestershire sauce
toasted bread - french, sour dough (I used store bought focaccia)
Mozzerella cheese

Bam.  That's it.  The labor was slicing all those onions.  I did it by hand, you may do it by machine - up to you.  And then I cried for an hour and sat outside to air out my eyeballs.

Beginning the slicing.


Melt  a stick of butter over low heat.


Take breaks to cry.


Over very low heat, cook the onions in the butter. For about an 
hour.  Stirring constantly and keep a lid on.  You don't want them
brown, just soft and almost translucent

After about an hour, add the wine and cook for about
30 minutes. 


Heat the broth to a boil and add Worcestershire sauce.


When the onions are done, put them in the broth.  At this point
I toasted slices of bread in the oven.


I put the soup in the bowl, added cheese and toasted
bread.


My family had about 3 bowls each.  I think they liked it. 


Since this was Sunday, I also made loaves of Amish bread.  I usually make this bread on Sunday, put one loaf in the freezer until we go through the first.  I've stopped buying sandwich bread altogether. There are too many preservatives in our food it disgusts me. Any way I can, I try to cut out as much un-natural things we put in our mouths. We eat this for toast for breakfast, sandwiches, grilled cheese.... its SO good.

This is some of the process of the bread that I managed to snap, the recipe is below.






Ingredients

  • 2 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
  • 2/3 cup white sugar
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons active dry yeast
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 6 cups bread flour

Directions

  1. In a large bowl, dissolve the sugar in warm water, and then stir in yeast. Allow to proof until yeast resembles a creamy foam.
  2. Mix salt and oil into the yeast. Mix in flour one cup at a time. Knead dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth. Place in a well oiled bowl, and turn dough to coat. Cover with a damp cloth. Allow to rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
  3. Punch dough down. Knead for a few minutes, and divide in half. Shape into loaves, and place into two well oiled 9x5 inch loaf pans. Allow to rise for 30 minutes, or until dough has risen 1 inch above pans.
  4. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 minutes.

1 comment:

CWBarnes said...

Wow - this all sounds wonderful. Thanx for sharing these recipes.!
Carol