Pages

Thursday, February 23, 2012

EASY Butter Cake Recipe & Semi-Homemade Icing

If you just have a few things on hand, you can make a butter cake.  This is the recipe I use a lot when making cupcakes or cake and it's quick, easy and so good.

The photos are from my BlackBerry...who's camera sucks...because photos were being edited with my other camera. So, yeah...


Ingredients

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup butter
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup milk

 Directions Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease one 8 inch square baking pan. Line bottom with wax paper or dust lightly with flour. Sift together the flour, salt, and baking powder. Cream the butter and blend in the white sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Beat until light and fluffy. Add the sifted dry ingredients to the creamed mixture alternately with the milk. Stir until just blended. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake at 350 degrees  for 30 to 45 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Remove from pan and allow it to cool.

The baking time totally depends on glass or metal pan, shape of pan or cupcakes. In a rectangle pan I used, thirty minutes was perfect.

Now for the icing.  For Valentine's Day, since it snuck up on me, I used canned icing and box mix because I was totally unprepared. I had one can of icing left, but didn't want to use it as is.  Honestly, it was a bit sweet.  It was simple vanilla icing, but I wanted chocolate since I made a butter cake.  Easy fix!

I emptied the canned icing into a mixing bowl and added about 2 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder and about 1 tablespoon of coffee (left over from breakfast) and mixed very well until it was all incorporated.

It was perfect! Chocolate icing that wasn't too sweet and tasted home made. And know that I'm hating the photos I'm about to post.



No comments: