Pages

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Honey Wheat Bread...From Scratch

Every Sunday I make bread.  Usually white.  It seemed today everyone wanted wheat.

My youngest fruit of my loins couldn't wait to help. She LOVES getting her hands in some dough.

I want to direct you to a blog about what I say all the time about making things at home VS buying things premade.....like loaves of bread.

GO HERE - The Simple Dollar - and read!

Then come back here...this is a different recipe....but DO try hers as well.  I will!



7 c. whole wheat flour
8 c. white flour
2/3 c. oil
 2 tbsp. salt
 2 tbsp. yeast
 2/3 c. honey
4 lg. loaf pans, greased (or 2 large loaf pans)

 1. Mix yeast with 1/2 cup lukewarm water. Set aside.


2. Mix 5 cups hot water with 7 cups whole wheat flour.

3. To flour mixture, add 2/3 cup oil, 2/3 cup honey, 1 more cup whole wheat flour and 2 tablespoons salt and mix.

4. Add yeast mixture.

5. Add 4 or 5 more cups whole wheat flour.


6. Knead 10 minutes.


7. Divide dough  and put into loaf pans. 

8. Let rise in warm place about 35 minutes or 1/3 in bulk.


 9. Bake 35 to 40 minutes at 350 degrees





Then Nomz with whatever you like.
My girls did some honey and butter. 


No comments: