Pages

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

V-Day Candyness

Valentine's Day SO snuck up on me this year.  It seems I did everything last minute.  I also warned my daughters, "Don't come in this kitchen!" because I was trying to get everything together. My 15 year old yelled, "What if I'm dying?!"  My reply, "Die in the back yard."

The first thing I did was cupcakes. And while I am a HUGE proponent of everything made from scratch, I did not have the time to mess with that yesterday.  Canned icing and boxed cake mix it was.

I tinted the icing with red food coloring and piped them into what was supposed to be roses.  Here's the video of what they were supposed to look like :



Now, using canned icing and not homemade buttercream, my roses weren't so much roses. Canned icing is so soft and won't stand up like homemade buttercream. Also, for the life of me I could NOT find my 2D icing tip. That's the ONE tip we use most often! So I implemented with a smaller tip. And it showed.  I did maybe four cupcakes before my arthritis showed up and threatened to kill me, so my daughter did the rest in her own style. 
They tasted great, so no one minded they looked like FrankenCakes.

Canned Icing
Mixed to a Pretty Pink.

Proof you can pipe through almost anything....I give
you....a zip lock bag. 




Watch the video below on how to use
Saran Wrap for easy clean up!






And here is my sad cupcake.
Canned icing is so soft and hard to hold
up a shape without being
refrigerated then hard to use.

Here's some cupcakes my Jessa did. 



Now for what I was totally excited to do. Candy Bowls!

First step is to get hard candy. And pound it to death.


Some got pounded, and some didn't.  It's
all good. 


I took whole peppermint discs and laid
them out on wax paper on a cookie sheet, and sprinkled the crushed 
candy around. 



Then they went into a 350 degree oven. This is the tricky part.
Depending on the candy, it may smoke or it may not. 
Mine did.  But I just turned on the vent hood, opened
the kitchen window and kept watch.


In the meantime I made cellophane goodie bags of 
other candies.


There...after about 10 minutes, the candy should
be melted.


I let them sit on the cookie sheet for a few moments
just to cool them down and make sure
they weren't so liquidy.


\Then I laid them over an upside down bowl to
harden.





After about 30 minutes, I peeled off the wax paper
and filled them!


Here's an empty bowl. 


And here's them put together.
The girls were blown away.
It took them a few minutes to figure
out what it was. LOL

No comments: