Pages

Thursday, May 17, 2012

Green Monster Smoothie

Well, sort of.

About a year ago I started to make Green Monster Smoothies and blogged about it HERE. In case you haven't heard of them, the main ingredient is fresh spinach. And I'll say this - you do not taste a HINT of spinach but you do get all the vitamins and minerals from the spinach.

I just wanted to blog my smoothie from this morning, because there are a million different ways to make them.  Most recipes call for milk...soy, almond, low fat, fat free...but I don't always want dairy in my smoothies.

This Green Monster is made with frozen strawberries and frozen blueberries, so the end result is a purple smoothie.  I also use flax seed. Preliminary studies show that flaxseed may help fight everything from heart disease and diabetes to breast cancer. Some call it one of the most powerful plant foods on the planet.

 Flax Fights Cholesterol
 Flax Fights Diabetes
 Flax Fights Cancer
 Flax Fights Constipation
 Flax Fights Inflammation
 Flax helps boost the Immune System

Flaxseed is high in Omega 3 fatty acids which is great news for me because it helps the symptoms of Rheumatoid Arthiritis.

Flax Seeds

A bunch of fresh spinach..always make sure you wash
spinach not sold in bags. This was before
I washed them...there's always
dirt. blech

Spinach contains an impressive range of active substances which are indispensable to the body. In its structure we find mineral salts (sodium, potassium, calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, sulfur, iron, zinc, manganese, iodine, copper), vitamins (C, B1, B2, B6, PP, E, K, folic acid, vitamin A), chlorophyll, amino acids such as arginine and lysine, but also lipids, protides, glucdes and fibers. With only 17 calories, 100 grams of spinach supplies the body with 5 mg of iron, 500 mg of potassium, 170 mg of calcium, 23 mg of vitamin C, 2 mg of vitamin E, 150 micrograms of folic acid, 3500 micrograms of beta-carotene and 7 grams of alimentary fibers. Because of this, an alimentary diet which contains spinach, leads to the strengthening of the body. The magnesium contained in spinach helps prevent diabetes; iodine helps treat skin diseases and strengthens the immune system; vitamin K contributes to bone resistance; vitamin B improves cerebral activity, helps in maintaining the firmness of the skin and controls insomnia; potassium stimulates the cardiac muscle; beta-carotene prevents sight problems and sulfur increases hair attractiveness. Alimentary fibers, vitamins and minerals contained make spinach a good depurative and detoxifier. The toxins originating in nourishment that are rich in fat and proteins of animal origin are thus eliminated quickly. At the same time, alimentary fibers prevent constipation and colon cancer. They interact with the absorption of fat and adjust the level of cholesterol in the body. Moreover, spinach can help eliminate intestinal parasites. All of these are sufficient reasons to start a diet based on spinach or at least for introducing it more often into everyday nourishment. By being nutritive, tonifying, mineralizing, calming for the nervous system and also a good coagulant, spinach benefits growth.


I used about two tablespoons of flax seeds and whirrrrrred
them in the blender for break them
down.

Then I added frozen fruit, spinach and some juice. 
Any juice...I used pomegranate. 

There ya have it! The magic has started!


The frozen fruit takes the place of ice...ice waters down
a lot of smoothies, in my opinion.


Once the berries get in the mix, it turns dark purple!



And there ya have it.  



2 comments:

Jenny said...

Hey Dawn! I've been making these for about 2 years and they've changed my life! I use unsweetened vanilla almond milk as my liquid and have used all sorts of gnarly, leafy greens (kale, collards--even cooked, unseasoned broccoli) with great results. I hardly survived 6 days at Disney World, eating Mickey Mouse waffles for breakfast instead of my beloved smoothies. I'm so dependent upon them that I usually travel with a ziploc of frozen smoothie, so that I don't have to do without one in the morning. Oh and Kevin's cousin's wife all but cured her horrible psoriasis by incorporating spinach smoothies into her diet! She'd tried so many medications, to no avail. She lost 30(ish) lbs and cleared up her skin all by drinking a daily spinach smoothie! This has turned into an infomercial...sorry, but I'm just as passionate about them as you are!

MommieDawn said...

Hey Jenny! For the past year I've only made them off and on. But for the past week, I've had one every single morning! My 15 year old is my smoothie buddy...my 18 year old won't touch them...nor with James. lol

I've been a vegetarian off and on for years and decided to go back ON full time again. My 15 year old is also my buddy on this. After hearing all the benefits of flaxseed, I was sold. I have RA and horrible joints and literally walk around here like I'm 85 years old and have had it! The side effects of RA meds scare me to death and I refuse to be a slave to meds again. SO...enter the monster.

We have a spinach and fruit one every AM and then a fruit and milk one every afternoon and I plan to do that as long as I can! I am feeling the energy benefits already which is awesome and spinach along with the flaxseed will have nothing but positive outcomes for me!

BTW - Anna is just sprouting up like a weed!