Pages

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Rice Crispie Baby

Asia is one of my unofficial children...I just adore her dearly. And she's a great fit in our weird and twisted family. Hence this post.

My daughter and her three choir friends are the best of friends and call themselves JAJA...as those are the first letters of each of their names. They all went to high school together, were in choir together and now all about to go off to college together. *tear*  They're always outdoing each other in creative ways to surprise one another. This time, it was Asia's turn. It was for her 18th birthday.

Asia once said that she'd rather eat a baby than take care of one. Warped...which is why we love her so.  They came up with an idea for a cake for birthday. She absolutely loves Rice Crispie treats so I make them for her when I can and they decided to have a cake made into the shape of a baby for her to eat.

Cool idea, but could I pull it off? That was the question. To make it even more realistic, it would be a 3D cake with food coloring to mimic read 'meat'.  I cannot tell you how disturbing it was to make this cake. Disturbing but hilarious. We decided on icing, because I felt they'd rather eat icing than fondant...although fondant would have made it even more realistic.

I worked on this cake for two days.  I have to tell you that the Summer here is dreadful...as it is every Summer. This crap-house heats up like a sauna and it was trips back and forth from and to the fridge with this baby. When we had it done we stuck it in the freezer before the short trip to Asia's. However, my car is without AC at the moment...so the poor baby was just about to melt into a puddle. This is how much we love Asia....so very much in order to give her a one of a kind weirdo nommie cake!

So...here we go.  I made a big regular batch of rice crispie treat mix and added in red food coloring.

Add more....maybe?

Mixing the 'meat'...

It's a messy job...

This is how I formed the body parts....

My evil child eating flesh.....

Making the head.....

Torso and head.....

Baby Arm....

Body parts to harden in the fridge...

Body parts and skewers ready for assembly...


Tada!

Icing on......

Hair, eyes diaper.....

To the freezer......

Baby with though bubble....

Outside Asia's house for the surprise....

Asia's reaction was priceless.....





Asia and my JacJac....

Asia eating a baby arm....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you use whole wheat crispies, I've never done that.

MommieDawn said...

No, I just used off brand regular rice crispies for this. But now I want to try others! I've even mixed in Froot Loops with the crispies!