Pages

Monday, December 3, 2012

Apple Pie Moonshine

That's right.

Moon. Shine.

Apple. Pie.

I was stumbling one day on StumbleUpon and a recipe for Apple Pie Moonshine appeared. Now, I love apple pie. But Moonshine? That stuff that Granny kept in her jug?


Ok, I'll give it a go.  The main 'moonshine' ingredient in this is Everclear. Everclear is the brand name of a colorless, unflavored, distilled beverage bottled at two different high strengths: 151-proof and 190-proof, meaning respectively 75.5% and 95% alcohol by volume. (Thanks Wiki)  190 Proof!

Here's how you start....and mind you this makes a LOT of moonshine, but it can be shelved and get better in weeks to come with age.  The four bottles of apple juice and cider is what I refilled with moonshine.  After this weekend, we're down to three.

You can go HERE for the original recipe....I added a little of my own touch to it below.

A gallon of apple juice
A gallon of apple cider
8 cinnamon sticks
2 cups of white sugar
1 cup of brown sugar
1 pack of mulling spices
1 liter Everclear (or grain alcohol)





Toss all of this (except alcohol) into a BIG pot. I have a VERY deep pot and it worked beautifully.


I let it simmer until it came to a boil, and stir occasionally to make sure the sugars are dissolved. When it's at a boil, take it off the heat and let it cool.  The next step is up to you, I strained all the mulling spices out but some people leave it in to get the flavor more intense.

When it's cool, at least to 100 degrees, pour in the Everclear and stir.  Then pour it into your container(s) for storage. Some people use mason jars, jugs....whatever. I re-used the juice bottles.




It doesn't need to be refrigerated, so you can store it in a cool dark place. Mine are in the pantry.

Let the apple pie slurping begin!



CHEERS!




Now a warning....



Since the Everclear is almost undetectable in taste....it will sneak up on you!

Careful Drinking, my friends!

No comments: