Pages

Monday, December 10, 2012

Christmas Pageants



It's no secret that I do not follow organized religion. It's also no secret that I question everything and blindly accept nothing. Living my life that way doesn't make me an angry, bitter person. It doesn't mean that you have to pray for me. It doesn't mean anything. Yes, so-called Christian after so-called Christian will say the previous and then choose to pray for me...I'm proof that prayer doesn't work. It hasn't on me so far and I've had dozens upon dozens of Christians with an exclusive telephone line to God's ear prey for my cold, tiny, black heart.

In the end, if I'm wrong, so be it. But for now in my life, I live for life's sake...for my children. Not for an invisible man in the clouds because a book says so.

There are a lot of the books of the Bible that have been omitted. A lot Christians do not want to accept it, but I believe historians more than I do Christians. The Gospel of Pseudo-Matthew, Chapter 18 talks of dragons living in biblical times. Infancy Gospel of Thomas 4:1 speaks of Jesus as a boy killing another boy for bumping into him in town. Literally. ""Thou shalt not finish thy course." And immediately he fell down and died." Jesus is criticized by the Pharisees for not washing his hands before eating. He defends himself by attacking them for not killing disobedient children according to the commandment: “He that curseth father or mother, let him die the death.” Matthew 15:4-7. In 2 Kings....God sent bears to maul and kill children. When someone can convince me that killing children with bears is justified, then I will become a blind Christian.

A lot of Christian churches go all out for Christmas and do their best to bring the myths...err I mean legends alive for their congregations. When the story of Jesus being born was recorded for the Bible's sake, I don't think they meant that churches had to recruit elephants, camels and hang humans from cables in an attempt to retell it.

A woman fell to her death in a church pageant. A camel fell into a crowd in a church pageant. Tis the season to live dangerously...falalalala.....ugh. Besides all the animals that I think are not necessary, the money spent on these pageants must be phenomenal. I can't help but think that the money would be best spent, oh I don't know, maybe donating to shelters or buying food for soup kitchens. But that's just me. Tickets range in cost from 15 dollars to 61 dollars, given the church. That's ridiculous!

Just another reason, secular religion gets my goat. It's Christmas time. Spread joy through story telling without the innocent animals being herded indoors wearing stupid costumes for human entertainment. Christmas Pageant insurance is a HUGE money maker for insurance companies too! Just look it up.

Now, With all that being said, I'll say this - Not everyone celebrate CHRISTmas. It's not a religious experience for everyone. And that's OK. For my family, it's about presents and hot cocoa and family and fun and food. Is that wrong? Of course not, don't be silly.


I leave you with an awesome pageant video....after all, this is what the Season is all about. Right?


No comments: