Pages

Sunday, September 15, 2013

Witch Fingers

I know, I know....it's not even October and I'm doing this. I can't help it!

I made these cookies years ago for a Halloween Festival at my daughter's daycare and they were a hit! I used to make them with a shortbread recipe, that way they don't spread out while baking like some doughs can. You want them to hold their shape.

I wanted to find a sugar cookie recipe this time because I didn't want to use five million pounds of butter. I found the perfect recipe, via AllRecipes. CLICK HERE for the recipe, I also will post it below because there's a little change up in the preparation.

The only things you need besides the recipe is almond slivers for fingernails and cocoa powder for brushing.


INGREDIENTS:

1 cup white sugar
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup butter, softened
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 eggs
1 teaspoon salt

DIRECTIONS:

1. Beat the butter for 1 minute add the sugar and beat for another 3 minutes. Beat in the vanilla and eggs and mix for 1 minute. Add the flour and salt an beat for 1 minute, scraping the sides of the bowl. Refrigerate dough for 1 to 2 hours.
2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F

After you take the dough out of the fridge, line your cookie sheets with parchment paper and get to rolling. Take about enough dough to make a pretty good sized cookie (about a little more than a tablespoon), then roll it between your hands to make a finger shape.

Take an almond sliver and gently place it at the tip. The slivers have a tendency to break so I would place them at the tip, then put pressure where the 'nail bed' is and push them in and down. Now take a spoon and use it to make knuckle creases...a couple below the nail, then a few more in the middle of the 'finger'. 

Now, bake for about ten minutes or until lightly browned. Take them out and cool. The next step is what brings the fingers to life!

Using a flat paintbrush dipped in cocoa powder, pat cocoa into knuckles and nailbed. Then brush the cookie. The knuckles will define and the finger looks old and gross.

Last night I did my first batch, apparently I made them a little too big and some came out looking like toes. :)

Today I did another batch and they were skinnier and looked better. I'm far from perfection, but you get it. 

FIRST BATCH

SECOND BATCH




No comments: