Pages

Thursday, December 12, 2013

Happy Birthday To My Baby Girl

Just some facts about today -

December 12, 1996 is the 347th day of the year 1996 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 19 days remaining until the end of this year. The day of the week is Thursday. If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is jueves. A person born on this day will be 17 years old today. If that same person saved a Penny every day starting at age 3, then by now that person has accumulated $51.14 today. Sagittarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Turquoise is the modern birthstone for this month. Onyx is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years. Rat is the mythical animal and Fire is the element for a person born on this day if we consider the very old art of Chinese astrology

Seventeen years ago today, at this time, I was in a long and heavy labor and about to deliver my second baby.

I went into the hospital  the day before, on a Wednesday. That Wednesday morning, I had a regular check up at my OBGYN and he determined to go ahead and send me to the hospital to induce labor. I was ready to pop.  I went home and got my things and we went up to the hospital where they started to monitor me. I guess the fear of induction was too much, because I had already started labor when I got there!

Labor went for roughly 26 hours. That night was terrible with so much pain I didn't think I would make it! The next day was worse. Roughly 5 hours of pushing and at one point I did what I never thought I would do...what I've seen on so many birth shows and always mocked the women for. I chickened out...well, I tried to.

"I can't dot his anymore! I don't think I'm strong enough!" I begged the nurses to just pull the baby out of me, to which they all laughed. But I was serious! "Go get one of those vacuum thingies! I've seen it on TV!" I just was exhausted. My first birth was an emergency cesarean, so this was all new to me. But, I was determined to get through it! Finding that second wind was incredible.

Finally, the time had come. My doctor was there and I pushed and pushed. Any meds I had been given all had worn off....au naturel was the way we were going. Then, my doctor told me to look down. I could see the top of her little head, then more and more until I was told, "Reach down! Grab your baby!"

I got to partially deliver her. One moment in time that I will always relish and just take great pride in. I grabbed under her arms and pulled her out and lay her on top of me. The big surprise was, she was a girl. We had been told to expect a boy, from what my doctor saw in the sonograms.

But, there she was. A head full of dark, dark hair, big eyes just staring up at me and just perfect. A second daughter. Just perfect. But, no crying. Just this...grunting. And she was a hot potato. I told the nurses how hot she felt. They laughed and said, "Oh, she's just a bun out of the oven!"  I was told "Rub her! Stimulate her! We need to get her crying!" I did! I did! Nothing.

Then she was taken from me and whisked away to the NICU. She had punctured her lungs upon entry. I was just numb, scared and a little unresponsive. I received stitches for tearing during the delivery. I didn't make a peep. The doctor kept asking if I was OK. I nodded. Again and again he'd ask. I'd nod. He called me, "The strongest patient.." he'd ever had. I was just in shock.

They took my temperature at that time, I was a little over 100 degrees...which means the baby was a degree higher than that at birth. After everyone had left the room, I got up and hobbled to the bathroom to take a shower. This was awesome, for me, because I couldn't even get out of bed after my first birth. I sat there in the shower and just cried and cried. Later, I was so sore from the labor and delivery, I couldn't even lift an arm. My hair even hurt, it seemed.

I never did hear her first cry and couldn't wait to have her in my arms again. Her NICU visit was only about three days and her lungs healed on their own and she got to come home with us! (This was a far cry from my first baby who we had to leave at the hospital for a week!)

And now, here we are. SEVENTEEN years later. I just can't believe it! She has grown into a kind, sweet, soft spoken, artistic, beautiful, funny, quirky, imaginative, inquisitive, feisty,  full of expression young woman.

Thank you, Jessa, for letting me be your mommie.













No comments: