Pages

Sunday, January 19, 2014

Coconut Oil and It's Many Uses

I'm from the South...born, bred and raised.  We have many 'old school' ways that are handed down from generation to generation. Crisco, for one. It was told to be used for cooking, hair, wrinkles, dry skin, door hinges that are sticky...seriously...everything.

This is me...Miss 43 year old with purple hair...with 
my twenty year old. 
Ugh...love that girl. 


Well, it's a new generation and time for me to pass things down to my own children.  I've taught them how to do things 'old school' as well....cook from scratch...make candles...make lip gloss...upcycle. I've even taught them how to research for making homemade beauty products and the importance of knowing what they put in as well as ON their body. My motto always has been, if you can't pronounce it, you don't need it.

Which brings us to coconut oil.



Why is coconut oil better than the average face moisturizer, and hair serum, and body lotion? Commercial moisturizers contain lots of water, which makes you feel like your skin is being moisturized. But as soon as the water dries, it becomes dry again. Also, many commercial brands of moisturizers contain petroleum-based ingredients that can suffocate the skin. Coconut oil provides deep and real moisture. It helps strengthen underlying tissues and helps remove excessive dead cell on the skin's surface that makes your skin rough and flaky in texture. It also great for shine and as a natural moisturizer for your hair.

Coconut oil is an edible oil extracted from the kernel or meat of matured coconuts harvested from the coconut palm. Because of its high saturated fat content it is slow to oxidize and resistant to rancidification, lasting up to two years without spoiling.



You can rub a dime-sized amount (a little goes a long way with this stuff) of coconut oil on to dry ends to hydrate and tame frizzy flyaways. On your face, apply as you would your normal moisturizer. While it tends to have a greasier consistency (at first), it's fantastic at absorbing quickly into skin. A spoonful is enough to hydrate your entire body; swap it in for your current lotion.

When buying your first jar, look for extra virgin, that has not been hydrogenated, bleached, refined or deodorized. Organic will ensure 100 percent non-GMO, which is also preferable. Coconut oil is best consumed internally in moderation, in its virgin or unprocessed form. It is very important to consume coconut oil in a totally unrefined state. If it has been refined in some way, which could include processes such as bleaching or deodorizing, it becomes much harder on the liver. With the oil's growing popularity you can find it pretty easily -- from Whole Foods to the Vitamin Shoppe to Amazon.

You don't have to refrigerate it either. I keep mine in the cabinet under the bathroom sink, as I use it mostly as a skin moisturizer and a hair serum. When you first open your jar, it will resemble something looking like Crisco. Upon literally touching it...it melts due to your skin's warmth. Taking some and rubbing it between your hands automatically puts it in it's 'oil' state for skin or hair use.

If there is a dish that you would like to cook with a small amount of oil, coconut oil is a great choice because it has a lower smoke point than other oils. It is nearly a completely saturated fat, it is much less susceptible to heat-induced damage and will stay stable at higher temperatures. It’s also great in baking. While coconut oil is a saturated fat, it is cholesterol free and trans-fatty acid free and has actually been shown to help lower cholesterol levels due to its ability to stimulate thyroid function.

In parts of the world, using coconut oil on your hair and skin has been an ancient practice. In Thailand and the Philippines, the women selling it point to your hair and rub your forearm, to indicate where to use it. Virgin coconut oil is composed of medium-chain-length fatty acids, or triglycerides MCTs, which are shown to have many health benefits, including raising the body’s metabolism, and acting as an antiviral, antifungal and antibacterial agent.

I always took care of my skin growing up...my grandmother taught me to do that. Oil of Olay every night and every morning. I saw a dermatologist regularly. But, DNA will do what it does and I'm aging like my daddie...baggie eyes and eye lids. :)

And now, as a 43 year old aging lady I still take care of my skin. I wash my face with handmade EFFOFF face washed comprised of sea salt, oatmeal, lavendar and more yummie things that my beautiful friend Courtney puts in all her products. I really, really urge you to go take a look at ALL Courtney's products!



And after that I use coconut oil as my moisturizer....even on my elbows. Every other week or so I put it in my hair ends...leave it in for a day with my hair up and wash it out.

To LIKE the EffOff Facebook page click HERE!  Courtney is amazing and beautiful and SO talented! Just see for yourself!






No comments: