Pages

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Vegan Creamy Potato Soup

It's been a very cold winter this year. Tonight is no exception. So, I needed a comfort food. Something warm and thick and .... comforting.

Creamy Potato Soup ... vegan.  Meaning, no butter, no milk, no bacon. Challenge Accepted!

I took about 7 or so medium sized potatoes and baked them in the oven on 350 for about an hour or until done.

While those were cooling on the counter, I took two onions and several cloves of garlic and chopped them. To a dutch oven (big pot) I added the chopped nommies to about 3 tbsp of olive oil and cooked them on medium low heat until the onions are translucent.

The potatoes should be able to be finger peeled, but what I did was cut them each in half and scooped the potato out with a spoon and added it to the pot. No need to really cut them in squares.....most of it will be mashed anyway.

After all the potatoes are added, add up to four cups of either water (with vegetable bouillon) or up to four cups of vegetable broth. At this point I added salt and pepper to taste. I used my hand mash potato masher to mash the potatoes. Duh.

I left it kind of chunky. I let it come to a slight boil...cooking it this whole time on low-medium to medium heat. After giving it a few stirs, I added about two teaspoons of corn starch and half a cup of soy milk and let it cook for about fifteen minutes.

If you're just going vegetarian, top it with regular cheese. If vegan, use vegan shredded cheese.

Either way, this soup is delicious.


No comments: