Pages

Friday, January 17, 2014

Vegan White Bread

I love making bread.

I love that I CAN make bread.

I've done it for years, but it's either plain wheat or white. I'm no fancy, braided bread maker. One day, maybe.

Recently, my youngest daughter decided to become vegan. We live a pretty much vegetarian life, sans the holidays, for several reasons. Mine is because as I get older, my body just won't digest meat. My youngest just doesn't want to eat anything from an animal. I love her.

I love to challenge myself in a lot of ways. Whether its fixing the washing machine or making things myself. I try to upcycle anything I can.

Ok, back to the bread. I had to find a vegan bread....no dairy. Another perk of her being vegan is the challenge it is for me to make suppers that the whole family can enjoy but that's also what she can eat. The vegan bread recipe I found is intensely easy and quite possibly the most beautiful bread I've ever made!



1 1/4 Cup Warm Water
2 1/2 tsp yeast
1 tbsp Vegetable or Olive Oil
2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
3 cups flour

Mix the yeast and water and let it sit for a few minutes to start working it's magic. Stir in oil, sugar and salt then add flour, one cup at a time.

Turn it out on floured surface and knead (adding flour so it doesn't stick) and put it in an oiled bowl. Turn the dough ball so it's surface is covered with oil. Let it sit covered in a warm place. Believe it or not, I make bread while I'm doing laundry. When it's time to let the dough sit, I put it literally in the laundry room on top of the dryer while it's going. The moist heat makes it rise beautifully!  Let it sit and rise for an hour.

After an hour, take it out and punch it down and knead again (adding flour) until all the air bubbles are out. Now, take that dough ball and roll it until it's a thick, fat oblongish blob of beautiful. Place it in an oiled bread pan, cover and let it sit again (in my laundry room...lol) for about 45 minutes to rise some more.

Bake it at 350 for 35 to 40 minutes. Voila! It's SO easy!


After it's first rise.....


After it's second rise....


After its baked....

No comments: