Pages

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Vegetarian Tostadas

Vegetarian dishes do not have to be bland and boring. Cooking vegetarian and vegan (for my daughter) is, however, very challenging when it comes to variety. I search online and in my noggin to come up with variety for my family...or they'd eat steamed veggies every night!

This week, I had a Mexican craving so I did tostadas one night and burritos another night.

For the tostadas, I used vegetarian canned refried beans and layered on corn tostadas with avocado, cheese, sauteed onions and mushrooms and salsa. They were really REALLY good.  Hearty and filling and delicious!




Another night I wanted burritos. These are totally vegan....and nonetheless delicious!

Plain flour tortillas...duh.

I cooked beans with onions and salt and pepper in the slow cooker all day. When they were about ready, I took a cup of dry white rice and browned it in a skillet with some EVOO and chopped onion. When it was browned, I added in a cup of tomato sauce and a cup and a half of water and turned the heat down, covered it and let it cook. Easy, peasy  Mexican Rice!

I took some beans out of the slow cooker (minus the juice) and put them into a skillet and mash them with a hand potato masher.....added some salt and pepper....voila! Refried beans!

You can lay vegan cheese (or cheese if you're going vegetarian) onto a warmed tortilla and then layer beans and rice and avocado (or whatever else you want in your burrito) and wrap it up!



See? Easy and delicious! I'll be posting more vegan and vegetarian recipes!

No comments: