Pages

Monday, February 10, 2014

Eggplant Linguini - Vegan, Of Course


My Italian grandmother always made the best Italian dishes.

Stuffed Artichoke.

Fried Chicken with Spaghetti.

Italian Roast.

Foccocia.

Fig Cookies.

I could go on.

Eggplant is one of my favorite veggies....stewed...fried...baked...any way. Tonight I wanted to do a take on Eggplant Parmesan. Being that I have to cook vegan...there would be no Parmesan...we have vegan shakable parm cheese, though.

I simply made some linguini for the base...I love linguini noodles but I hardly ever buy them! Luckily, I saw some on my last trip to Aldi and snatched  'em!

For the eggplant, I sweated them as normal but made sure I made thick slices. After sweating them, I soaked them one at a time in soy milk, then through a dredge of flour, cornstarch, salt and pepper and fried them in a mix of coconut oil and olive oil. Basically it's almost a 50/50 mix of cornstarch and flour...the cornstarch really makes is crisp.

Here's the Eggplant Station.   :)
Dip them in soy milk. 
Dredge them in flour mix. 
Fry them up.


Then let the oil soak out of them. 
Don't they look beautiful!?


I topped it all off with a tomato sauce. Delish AND vegan!

No comments: