Pages

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Slow Cooker Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal

It was 2am and I remembered that I wanted to find a recipe. Since I am a chronic insomniac, it only seemed fitting to do this all right then.

A friend had posted a recipe for oatmeal made overnight in the slow cooker. As I usually do, I research and tweak.  I wanted to firstly make it vegan, so eliminated the milk and butter with recipes I found. So, here's what I put together.



Ingredients

Steel cut oats – 1 cup

Water – 3 cups

Soy Milk – 1 cup

Melted Coconut Oil– 1 tbs.

Apples, peeled & chopped  – 2

Brown sugar – ¼ cup

Kosher salt – 1 tsp.

Cinnamon – 1 tbs.

Put all ingredients in a slow cooker...no need to stir. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or 4 hours on high. Top with nuts, yogurt, fruit, jams, coconut shavings!

Here are all the ingredients before I turned on the pot. 

And here it is in the morning!

It was really good! Creamy, not too sweet and filling!




**You can use any combination with the liquid – water, soy milk, almond milk, milk all work

No comments: