Pages

Thursday, February 20, 2014

Vegan Beignets

I totally forgot that I had to post this last Sunday! Better late than never!

I've been to New Orleans several times. I always loved those trips. The food. The colors. The music. The atmosphere. I've gone several times with family. We'd stroll up and down Bourbon Street. Eat the most delicious food. I went in college once and sang in a bar, took the haunted home tour, danced the night away in one of the most awesome gay bars...then woke up with gum in my hair. Still...always fun.

And, of course, the beignets.

My kids love beignets too. I've made homemade ones before and they turned out great. But now that I'm cooking vegan, I was on the hunt for a recipe.  I found a couple that I liked then whittled it down to one. Then, as I do, tweaked it to suit the vegan needs.

Remember, for recipes calling for eggs...1/4 cup of unsweetened applesauce counts as one egg. It works great, you never know the difference.

These beignets are like puffed pillows of fried goodness. They're not heavy like traditional beignets, but they are delicious! I won't tell you how many our family inhaled, though.

This recipe will make a lot of beignets..if you want to half the recipe, be my guest. I froze about half of the dough .. so I'm curious to see how it turns out this Sunday after being in the freezer for a week.

Vegan Beignet

1 cup warm water
1/4 cup sugar
1 Tbs active dry yeast
1/4 cup applesauce
2 Tbs melted coconut oil
1/2 cup soy creamer or soy milk
4 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
Oil for frying
Powdered Sugar

In a mixing bowl, combine the water, sugar and yeast. Allow to sit until the yeast gets bubbly and has woken up, about 5 minutes.




Add in the coconut oil and the applesauce and beat until combined.



Add in the soy milk and half the flour and beat for 1 minute.


Add in the salt and the rest of the flour and finish with the dough hook. If you don't have a dough hook, knead the dough by hand.



 Spray cooking spray or a light bit of oil into a bowl or dish with a lid. Add in the dough and turn to coat. Cover and allow to sit in the fridge for 8 hours, or overnight.





 Heat your cooking oil to 360 degrees. On a lightly floured surface, roll out your dough to approximately 1/4 to 1/3 inch thickness. 1/2 inch thick is too thick. Cut the dough into 3" x 3" squares or diamonds.



Place into the hot oil carefully, making sure not to crowd the oil. The beignet should float to the surface almost immediately. Cook on each side for about 20-30 seconds, or until a rich golden brown. Once golden brown on both sides, remove from oil and allow to rest for about 1 minute.




Here's a little video of how they puff up like magic!
But, excuse the quality..I was filming and frying at the same time.
LOL




With a sieve, sprinkle the powdered sugar generously onto the top of the beignets.



Pay no attention to my Christmas mug...I use them year around. 
:)





No comments: