Pages

Monday, February 10, 2014

Vegan Donuts

Sunday in our house is usually the day I make a big breakfast. Migas. Pancakes. Breakfast casseroles.

Tradition. It's how I grew up and I enjoy making things for lazy Sunday mornings for my little family.

My vegan child was wanting donuts. I know of no place around here that sells them, nor do I want to know what someone is charging for store bought vegan donuts. So I do what I do and searched for recipes to make some. I've made regular donuts before, but needed to make it vegan for her. I found a recipe online and did a little tweaking.

Did you know that you can substitute eggs with unsweetened applesauce? We keep a big jar on hand just for this reason.

Ingredients:

Dough:

3 tsp yeast
3 tbsp warm water
3/4 cup coconut milk
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup applesauce
3 tbsp shortening
2 and 1/2 cups flour

Glaze:

1 and 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp coconut water (add more if it's too thick)

Directions:

1. In a small bowl, pour warm water over yeast.  Let sit until bubby (2 – 3 minutes).  Combine coconut milk, sugar, salt, applesauce, and shortening in a large bowl.  Stir until smooth.  Add in yeast/water mixture and stir.  Add flour and stir until combined (add more flour in tablespoons if dough is too wet.  It should be moist, but not sticky.)  Transfer to a lightly oiled bowl and cover.  Let rise for one hour, or until doubled.

As I usually do, I put the covered bowl in my laundry room with the dryer going. And, as usual, I had laundry that I was doing.


After an hour, transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and roll out to 1/2 inch thickness. The dough is beautifully light and airy.....I just love working with it!  I used a cup to cut the donuts, then an apple corer to make the hole. It worked great, and made cute little donut holes for popping in your mouth!



I placed the donuts and holes in a cookie sheet lined with wax paper to let rise one more time for about a half hour.You can really see the difference!

Before


After 30 Minutes


Heat the oil in a pan or pot to 350°.  Make sure you have enough oil to cover at least half the thickness of the doughnuts or the middle will be raw! Slide in doughnuts and fry about one minute on each side, until golden brown. I used our stainless steel chopsticks to flip them and put them on a cooling rack.

 I'll let you in on a little secret... To check if the oil is hot enough for cooking, take a 
wooden spoon and put the end in the oil. If it bubbles, it's ready. 
This saves you from constantly throwing in
flour to check it. 


 Here's the 'station' I set up for cooking the donuts. 



While donuts are cooling, put together the glaze. To the coconut water, add powdered sugar, vanilla extract. Stir with a whisk to remove any lumps. (Note: for a thicker, whiter glaze, add more sugar and less liquid.  For a lighter, clearer, glaze add more liquid and less sugar.)

 Here is soy milk/sugar glaze.

Once donuts are cool, dip them in glaze or brush it on....I dipped them face down and put them back on the rack. If you want, you can even turn them over to coat both sides.  Add sprinkles if you so wish.....I couldn't resist! I used blue sugar sprinkles and the girl child wanted chocolate. 






You can also make a chocolate glaze, which I'll do next time, by adding about a tablespoon or so of cocoa powder to the glaze.


No comments: