Pages

Friday, March 21, 2014

EASY Homemade Scones

Scones.

I LOVE them. They aren't too sweet. Best right out of the oven. They're SO customizable you can add virtually anything to them!

People have been making scones since before they've been writing things down. As much as I can tell, they originate around the British Isles....and not Scotland as some think. The Scottish scones were made with oats, formed in a circle and cut into four pie-like shapes and baked on a baking stone.

Around 1788, scones became popular  as a fashionable tea ritual  in England when Anna, Duchess of Bedford, would order servants to bring tea and sweet cakes (including scones). She was so pleased by the scones, that she ordered the servants to serve them every day at tea time and that was the start of the traditional English tea time, precisely at 4.

Ok, enough of the pishposh history.  I have made several recipes of scones. My first was a disaster. My second was better, then I just played around switching things up. Now that I cook vegan, I started the search over again.

I came across a recipe that I couldn't pass up. THREE ingredient scones. Really? THREE? Yup! The catch is, you can put any number of add-ins you want from berries to dried spices to chocolate. As I do, I changed a couple of things....but I couldn't have done it without the base of this recipe. Click HERE to go directly The Miniature Moose website...and poke around at her other great recipes!



Ingredients
2 cups Self-Rising Flour
2 Tablespoons Sugar, plus 2 teaspoons
1 1/2 cups canned coconut milk

*I used coconut cream and water instead of coconut milk
1 cup canned Coconut Cream,  plus 1 Tablespoon for brushing on top, plus 2 tsp for topping
(This will all make sense soon)
1/2 cup water

As my add-in, I used 1/2 a cup of fresh blueberries


Instructions
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
In a medium bowl, mix flour, sugar, and any additional add-in's together.
Stir in coconut cream and water until just combined.
Dump the mixture onto a floured surface and very gently fold 4 to 5 times until mixture is a nice even texture and no longer sticky.
Shape into a 8 in square and cut into 8 triangles using a pizza cutter or sharp knife. It should be about an inch thick. Keep pieces together.
Brush the additional Tablespoon of coconut cream on the tops and sprinkle with the additional sugar.
Sprinkle the rest of the sugar on a parchment lined baking sheet then move the scones to the pan. Bake on the top rack of the oven, for 17 to 20 minutes.
Let cool for 2-3 minutes before adding your glaze. I took a cup of powdered sugar and about a teaspoon or more (however thick or thin you want your glaze) of the coconut cream (or lemon juice) and whisked for my glaze. Now I wished I would have remembered I had lemons and do a lemon glaze instead. Lemons and blueberries....come on!

The original recipe called for coconut milk, but I used coconut cream mixed with water. Coconut cream is much thicker than coconut milk. It reminds me of condensed milk, or buttermilk.

Usually, I take photos of the step by step process. However, today I didn't....basically because I was too excited to try them and not sure how they would turn out. But, when I opened the oven after 17 minutes and saw how gorgeous they were....I grabbed my camera! OH, and the house smells delicious! My seventeen year old came down the stairs and proclaimed, "Scones?!" So, yeah....they were a success. 


This is the coconut cream I used.


This is mine. I devoured the entire thing, y'all!

The leftovers....saved and devoured already!

Eating outback on this beautiful morning!

Light and airy and creamy inside....if that
makes any sense. 

*Original recipe found at www.theminiaturemoose.com 





2 comments:

Micheline TheMiniatureMoose said...

This made my day!! I LOVE to see success pictures! Blueberries- perfect!

MommieDawn said...

Aww! I'm so glad you saw it! This was the MOST BESTEST-ESTEST easiest recipe ever! They're a HIT in the house! THANK YOU!