Pages

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Vegan Banana Bread Muffins

Ahhh.....banana bread. I may be the only person in the universe who doesn't make them with nuts. No nuts. I hate nuts. But I LOOOOOVE Banana Bread....so it was time for me to finagle a vegan recipe from my noggin.

It's not hard, really...when cooking vegan, you just remember the substitutes.....applesauce for eggs, soy or almond milk for milk, coconut oil or vegan butter for butter. Simple as that.

It was close to midnight...thanks insomnia...and as I do, I'm either cleaning the kitchen, doing laundry or baking something. As you can tell by the photos below, I opted to bake instead of clean. ;)

Here's the recipe...I made this in a muffin tin, but it can also be made as a loaf

2 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 brown sugar
3/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup almond milk
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
2 cups mashed bananas (3-4 bananas)
1/8 cup vegetable oil
1/8 cup coconut oil
2 tbsp syrup
1 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Lightly oil your muffin tin (or bread pan) or insert baking cups and set aside. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, sugars, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.

In a large bowl, whisk together the almond milk and cider vinegar and let stand for about 2 minutes.



Then add the mashed banana, oils, syrup and vanilla...whisk it all together well.

Add dry to the wet...and mix it until it's just combined...don't over mix.  At this point, you can add any chopped nuts....I forego the nuts. Blech.



Pour batter into pan. For bread loaf - bake for an hour. For muffins - check after 25 minutes....insert toothpick and just keep checking.  Every oven is different.




The end result is some of the most moist and delicious banana bread....EVER! The syrup is a slight taste...but you really can taste it. This is a decadent banana bread...seriously.



No comments: