Pages

Saturday, April 12, 2014

Vegan Cinnamon Swirl Raisin Banana Bread

That's a mouthful.

Literally. A good, sweet mouthful of goodness.

My daughter has become quite the baker and she's been wanting to make something with the dying bananas that have been patiently waiting to made into something. Originally, she wanted to make a banana type cake....with dark chocolate chips. Since we cook vegan, the chips had to be vegan.

Mama's been a bit preoccupied with getting my art together for a gallery showing this weekend and couldn't make it to the store. Bad MommieDawn...I know. And today I'm recouping from having this fibro-ed, RA'ed Aspie'ed body standing for about two hours. I have to decompress the Aspie mind and recoup this pain ridden body...and that all takes time.







I'm very honored and excited to have my art hang at The Cast downtown and to be among many awesome local artists! The exposure is incredible and I've met some great people through this experience!  I plan to be way more involved in my wonderful town that we call home now.

Ok, back to the food!  So, since I've not been able to get to the store, my little resourceful child wanted to make something out of what we do have.....so we just put together a loaf of Cinnamon Swirl Raisin Bread....vegan of course.

As I do, I find a recipe I like and tweak it to make it my own. In this case, it was taking a normal recipe and making it vegan...but delicious!

*Remember - 1/4 cup of unsweetened applesauce takes the place of one egg to make recipes vegan.



Cinnamon Swirl Banana Bread
Makes 1 loaf

Ingredients:
3 over-ripe bananas, mashed
1/3 cup melted coconut oil
3/4 cup sugar
¼ cup applesauce
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking soda
dash of salt
1 ½ flour

For the swirl:
1/3 cup sugar
1 Tbsp cinnamon

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350. Oil and flour a loaf pan. Or spray it. Whatever you normally do. I used a normal sized bread loaf pan....a glass one.

Mix bananas, melted coconut oil, sugar, applesauce, and vanilla together. sprinkle baking soda and salt around on top of the banana mixture. Then gently stir in flour. Be careful not to over-mix! This is a somewhat dry batter...more like a loose dough, so don't worry it's not sopping wet.

In a small dish, mix together the 1/3 cup sugar and 1 Tbs cinnamon.

Add 1/2 of the batter to the loaf pan and then sprinkle half, or a little more than half of the cinnamon-sugar mixture all over the batter in the pan. Add the rest of the batter, and then sprinkle the leftover cinnamon-sugar on top.

Bake for 50-60 minutes, but remember, if you’re using a different-sized loaf pan, be careful and keep a close eye on it!

Fresh out of the oven! The house smells DELICIOUS!

The swirl is close to the bottom...

See that plump, warm, juicy, sweet raisin?
Yeah...I ate it.....like, real quick. 

The top is a crust of cinnamon sugar goodness!




No comments: