Pages

Sunday, June 7, 2015

Apple Roses

I want to be a good baker. I always try. And when I try to put together a beautiful pie....it comes out just OK.  My cakes are edible. My cupcakes are palatable. But I want everything to look SO CUTE!

My grandmother was a fabulous baker. Hell, she was a fabulous perfect cook...period. I just strive to be a small percentage as good as she was.

It hardly ever happens. But today I got a step closer to CUTE.

Apple Roses.

Seriously. How cute does that sound?!  And they taste like mini apple pies. Oh my god, y'all. Come on!

Now...this is NOT hard. I mean, I did it. So you know it's not difficult. It's just time consuming.

I made half a recipe of pie crust, because I just wanted to SEE if I could do this. My recipe made 4 apple roses. With the little left over, I made a little tart.



For the Pie Dough :

2 1/2 cups  all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 sticks  unsalted butter, cubed and very cold
1/2 cup cold water, plus more as needed



DIRECTIONS

(I make my crust in a food processor)

In the bowl of a food processor, combine flour, sugar, and salt; pulse to combine. Add butter, and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs with some larger pieces remaining, about 10 seconds.




I then take the dough out and put it into a bowl. I slowly add some water and mix with a wooden spoon. You want it a little wet, but not at all liquidy.




Divide the dough ball into two. Wrap each in plastic wrap, and chill for at minimum one hour (this allows the water to fully hydrate the dough, making for a more cohesive product that's easier to roll out).



Then I got a couple apples.


Cut them in half.



Core them.



Slice them VERY VERY thin.
(Pay no attention that I didn't)









I took a lemon, and squeezed it into a bowl.

Then added some warm water.
The lemon keeps them from turning brown.
The warm water helps make them pliable.





Mix some cinnamon and sugar in a bowl.
I didn't measure this. 
Whatever I have leftover, goes into a tupperware for
cinnamon toast!

Take the dough out of the fridge and roll into a 
rectangle on a floured surface.



Tada!


I took a pizza cutter and cut about 2 inch strips.
Line up the apple slices on top of the strips.


Sprinkle some cinnamon and sugar on the dough and
fold up the bottom half of the dough.



Start at one end and roll them up.

The naturally make a ROSE!

Put them in a greased muffin tin.



 This is the extra that I made a tart out of.


Put them in the a 375 degree oven for 45 minutes!












They're like mini personal apple pies.
They're DELISH and SO easy!

Also, take a virtual trip to my store to check out the bath bombs
and soaps I'm making!

Also NO Skeeter mosquito spray!
All Natural, Y'all!

No comments: