Pages

Saturday, October 24, 2015

Soy Vanilla Pudding - Lactose Free

Both my kids are lactose intolerant. It sucks. It has also made it a challenge for me to make them things they enjoy without giving them a tummy ache in the process.

Last night, my youngest wanted some pudding. Reasonable request, only I hardly ever make it and I don't keep the boxed stuff in the house. She had also just gotten over a fever and cold, then had a lactose attack belly ache for a couple of days because I made butter cream icing cupcakes for our annual Halloween Cookie Decorating night that she just had to have.  She's 18, I can't hide them. And I make delicious cupcakes.

So, what I did was make pudding, the way you always make homemade pudding, but used soy milk instead. It came out perfect.



Ingredients

2 cups plain (or vanilla) soy milk
1/2 cup white sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon butter


Mix sugar, cornstarch and salt in a bowl and
whisk all together.

Over low heat, warm up the milk until it's steaming, not
boiling. 

Slowly add the dry ingredients....a little
at a time and stir. 

Keep on heat, don't boil, and stir continually. 
It thickens as it heats. 

When it coats the back of a spoon well, it's ready
to take off the heat. 

Keep your butter and vanilla close at hand....

Take milk off the heat and add the butter and vanilla. 
Stir until it's all combined. 

Pour into a bowl and chill until thick. 

Thick and cream homemade vanilla
pudding!



No comments: