Pages

Saturday, November 14, 2015

Awesome Potato Soup, Y'all!

Yesterday, my awesome neighbor texted me and asked if I wanted their dryer.

If you know me, you know my dryer died. Well, according to my husband it just needs a part. A part I know nothing about. It must be hard to find or not even in existence because he would have ordered it and repaired the dryer by now. Right? That's what I'm thinking.

I gave up on washer dyer repair last year when I repaired the washer pump ALL BY MYSELF. I earned my Appliance Badge that day, so I'm done.

The dryer works, it just squeals like a hundred cats being stretched to death. I couldn't take it. So, for months I've been drying things out on the clothesline outback. That's all well and fine, I honestly don't mind doing it. It saves on electricity and my hippy side knows it's better for the environment. But, with winter coming there's no way I'll get anything dry.

So when my neighbor texted me....I did a happy dance. Well, an old crippled lady trying not to break my hip happy dance. And guess what?! I moved it in. By myself. Installed it. By myself. Woohoo! Now the old dryer, which is huge, is sitting in the dinette until the hubs takes it out.

ALL that said to say this.....while cleaning the kitchen today, I had to shove the old dryer out of the way a little bit and I spotted a huge bag of tators the hubs brought home. Potato Soup. Perfect for this chilly, overcast dreary day.

Here we go!


Ingredients
raw bacon, chopped (up to you. I only used a few slices for toppings and to be able to use the leftover grease in the soup)
2 onions, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
8 to 10 potatoes, peeled and cubed
4-6 cups chicken stock, or enough to cover potatoes

Roux
3 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup milk

Seasonings
1 teaspoon dried Italian seasonings
3 teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro
salt and pepper to taste


Cook your chopped bacon in your soup pot and take it out.
Leave enough bacon drippings for onions.

Cook onions for about 5 minutes, or until translucent.  Then
add garlic for another minute. 
Add some salt and pepper. 

Add potatoes to the pot and toss them to get them all
coated and cook for about 5 minutes.


Add chicken broth and boil for about 20 minutes
or until the potatoes are all cooked through.

In another pot melt butter....

...add flour and whisk thoroughly... 

...pour in the milk and whisk until it's thick....

LIKE THIS!

Pour the cream mixture into the soup, stir and cook for
a few moments. 

Blend about half the soup smooth and return it all
to the pot. 

SMOOOOOTH! And season....


Top with bacon, sour cream, cilantro, cheese...WHATEVER!

No comments: