Pages

Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Easy Flour Tortillas!

I try to make as much as I can from scratch. Not only is it easier than you think, it's also  a good time to teach your kids how to cook homemade!  I also am a huge proponent of knowing what you're putting in your body.

Last week I slow cooked a pork loin and I froze it after making my husband lunch before he went out of town on business. He just really had to have that loin. Today I pulled it out of the freezer, defrosted it and heated it up with some sriracha sauce and seasonings.....made some spanish rice and black beans and the fixin's of lime, cilantro, cheese and avocados!

And, of course, made some four tortillas. Watch the video and see the recipe below! 

*The recipe below yields 8 tortillas....I doubled the recipe because I knew we'd have leftovers of the meat and sides and this will be our lunch tomorrow!


Ingredients
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup water
3 tablespoons olive oil
Add to Shopping List


Directions
In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Stir in water and oil. Turn onto a floured surface; knead 10-12 times, adding a little flour or water if needed to achieve a smooth dough. Let rest for 10 minutes.
Divide dough into eight portions, let it rest for another ten mintues. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion into a 7-in. circle.
I cooked mine on a flat top over medium heat for 1 minute on each side or until lightly browned. (You can use a nonstick skillet with cooking spray if you like as well) Keep warm. 

Yield: 8 tortillas.



Nutritional Facts

1 tortilla equals 159 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 148 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.

No comments: