Pages

Sunday, November 1, 2015

Slow Cooker Apple Butter

It's officially November 1st. Fall. I'm ready for FALL!  In central Texas, it comes later than the rest of the country, and while it's cool today, I'll cook something to make it moreso Fall.

Apple Butter!



It's delicious and dark and sweet and perfect on toast or muffins or in a peanut butter sandwich. Some people even put in on pork chops!  Apple Butter was something I grew up on. We always had a jar in the fridge. I just never realized how easy it is to make until now!

This is my recipe - and there's always wiggle room for improvement. You can adjust it how you feel. I'm sure I'll be tweaking it myself. :)

Ingredients:
6 apples, peeled and finely chopped
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1⁄8 teaspoon salt


After you peel, core and chop the apples, place them in the slow cooker. Combine sugar, and spices and salt in a small bowl and mix well. Pour over apples and mix well. Cover and cook on high for 1 hour, stirring at least once.  Decrease heat to low; cover and cook on low for 9-11 hours (I did 10) or until thickened and dark brown. Stir occasionally.

Take them out and drain and cool a little. Process until it's all smooth in a food processor. Then put in a container. This made about a little over a cup for me. You can increase the recipe for more. But a cup will last a while in this house.



No comments: