Pages

Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Easy Homemade Tortillas

You will not believe how easy it is to make delicious tortillas!  Whenever I can, I make them fresh. And today was the day.

The mister just bought two bushels of fresh cilantro. That dictates the meal planning. I love cilantro. LOL

So, this morning I made the fresh tortillas. Then started a pot of beans with cilantro and onions. Later I made some spanish rice and then threw it all together on a place and into my face.

My daughter's Tita (rest her sweetest soul) made a pot of beans every morning. Today, she told me Tita would be proud. I feel her whenever I throw beans on the stove to cook all day.

Tomorrow, I'm making breakfast tacos with the leftovers.


Here's the recipe :

Ingredients

  • 4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
2 tablespoons shortening
  • 1 1/2 cups water

Directions


  1. Whisk the flour, salt, and baking powder together in a mixing bowl. 

  2. Put it all in a food processor and add the shortening. Mix until the flour resembles cornmeal. 

  3. Put it all back in your bowl and add the water and mix until the dough comes together and knead it until it's smooth and elastic.

  4. Divide the dough into 24 equal pieces and roll each piece into a ball. (I made 12 tortillas out of this recipe to make the tortillas larger)

  5. Preheat a large skillet (or cooktop) over medium-high heat. Use a well-floured rolling pin to roll a dough ball into a thin, round tortilla. Place into the hot skillet, and cook until bubbly and golden; flip and continue cooking until golden on the other side. Place the cooked tortilla in a tortilla warmer; continue rolling and cooking the remaining dough.

No comments: